Buying a property is a huge financial decision, and we know that can be worrying – especially for first time buyers who aren’t familiar with what buying a property looks like. At William Theakston, we want to make the journey as smooth as possible, which is why we’ve put together this blog series guiding you through the process.
Starting your search
When you’re starting out on your property search, the best thing to do is come in and see us or give us a call – this is probably the most important conversation we’ll have with you!
We prefer to speak with you in person or on the phone so that we can listen carefully to your needs in order to match you with your perfect property. We take this very seriously, and know that every one of our customers is different, so we will spend as long as possible chatting to you to make sure we can help you in any way that we can.
What we need to know
A handy tip from us, is to have the answers to the below written down at the beginning of the search – whoever you’re talking to, so you never feel put on the spot!
- Contact details of you and any other people involved in the purchase: Phone, email, and current address.
- How you would prefer us to contact you, and what time is best
- The type of property you’re looking to buy
- How many bedrooms, bathrooms and living rooms you’re looking for, whether you need outside space, and car parking requirements
- Location: town, countryside, proximity to transport links
- Your budget, and whether it is flexible
- When you want or need to move by!
- How flexible you are with any of the above. We understand from our statistics that very few purchasers end up buying a property which fits all of the initial requirements mentioned – so please don’t think we haven’t listened to you if we suggest something that seems a little off course! Obviously if you tell us you aren’t flexible on any of your requirements, we will respect that and only contact you if something perfect becomes available.
- If you have discussed your finances who can verify that you are able to afford the amount you’re looking at. We can verify this for you if you haven’t
- If you are a cash buyer (which effectively means no mortgage required), please can you verify where the cash is now, or how quickly you’ll have it and the source of the cash – we need to ascertain where the cash is coming from for legal purposes – the more you can tell us at this stage, the quicker the process will be if you like a property and want to make an offer.
- If you have a property to sell, and if so what stage that sale is at
- Finally, if you have already considered instructing a solicitor/conveyance
What happens next?
Once you’re fully registered with us, we can introduce you to all the properties we have available and we can then organise your viewings to find exactly what you are looking for. If we don’t have anything suitable for you, we will put you on our database so we can let you know straight away once the right property becomes available. We keep you informed of all new properties, price reductions, and properties that may be coming soon so you will be in the know before anyone else is!
If you’d like to register with us, give us a call on 0208 304 0997